Sunday, July 13, 2008

Possibly last post from across the pond

This might be my last post from across the pond. If it is my last post from Belgium, upon my return I will be posting pictures on the blog some time after my return.

I can now say I have had a beer from each of the 6 Trappist breweries in all the world. All six breweries are located in Belgium, and I only visited the Abbey of Saint Sixtus. Each of the six trappist breweries are operated by the monks and are considered some of the finest beers of the world. Personally, I agree with the statement. The 6 trappist breweries are Westvleteren (made at the Saint Sixtus Brewery), Chimay, Orval, Westmalle, Rochefot, and Achel (made at the Saint Bernardus Brewery). The beer from Westvletern is best of them all but unfortunately it is only available at the brewery itself. Unfortunately for those of you back home, I will not be taking any home with me.

For the latest tourist action, I went and saw Brugge, again. Brugge is simply an amazing city to go visit because most of the architecture is still stuck around 1400. I saw some of the Primitive Flemish artwork this time in Brugge. Some of the artwork was kinda of disturbing but really cool to see at the same time. With the amount of time spent in Brugge, I am going to have to watch the movie "In Brugge" when I get back to Cincinnati. I did see Ghent and was impressed with the city. The architecture is more modern by a couple hundred years. I did visit a castle in Ghent which was pretty cool.

For the racing, I have discovered it takes me about 2 solid days to recover from each race I enter. During the latest race in Gistel, near the coast to the north sea, it felt like my legs were laughing at me. It was the worst race I had over here so far. After I got done racing, I rode over to the sea and checked out the coast in Oostende. I did another race close to Brugge on Saturday. It didn't go so well but I am hoping for a good race on Monday during my last race over here.

My plans for the rest of the trip is to race one last time, and visit Amsterdam. I get back into Cincinnati on Friday evening. I might try to catch a juniors (17-18 age group) before leaving but I will have to wait and see on time.

No comments: