Friday, July 4, 2008

Racing and Paris

Since the last post, I have raced three times. I raced in Jonkershove-Houthulst, Beveren-Leie, and Kuurne. In Jonkershove-Houthulst, the course was pancake flat, strong winds, and a few turns. I got caught behind some people who getting dropped from the group and got dropped with them after I tried to get a across to the group. I managed to solo to about 26th spot out of about 60 starters. The next race in Beveren-Leie I managed to bridge up to the second group on the road, which would eventually join the lead group, but I blew up once I got up there and dropped back to the pack. I was happy knowing that I can make the group selection, but need a little more strength to stay up there. Also, I need to remember to sit back a little bit after a hard bridge. The latest race I did in Kuurne was an American style criterium, and my legs felt horrible, and I couldn't do a thing and dropped relatively quickly. One thing I have learned about racing over here is when you got bad legs the field will let you know and you will get dropped fairly quickly. Another thing is the racing is extremely aggressive. No matter how large of group you are in you are riding hard and if the group is too large you are guaranteed that someone will be attacking, its awesome.

For the tourist action, I went and saw the national cyclist museum in Roeselare. It was cool to see bikes from all the ages including some bikes ridden by some the biggest names in the sport. Also, I spent a day in Brussels. I wasn't too impressed with Brussels especially in comparison to Brugge. Almost immediately upon arrival, the group I am with got to see the start of some festival celebrating the return of a tree that was stolen by the Flemish giants. I don't know more that this other than it is a major piece of the history of Brussels. On June 30th, I got to ride portions of the Tour of Flanders. It was a lot of fun to ride some the bigger climbs of that race, Koppenburg, Murr de Huy, Bossburg, and many others. I did stop for some coffee at the cafe at the top of the Murr de Huy. On July 1st, I rode the last 80 miles of Paris-Roubaix. For those of you who don't know, its a race that goes over some of the nastiest rodes known to man. The worst sections can only be described as someone dropping rock in dirt and calling it a road. People have said riding over the roads feels like someone put a jackhammer on the front of your bike, but I don't think that accurately describes it. It is something that needs to be ridden to truly understand it. For the guys who actually race it, I always had great respect to them, but it is even greater know. By the time I was done with the ride, I was having a hard time gripping the bars with my arms screaming at me over any little bump in the road. I know believe the last 300 meters of cobbles ridden in that race is cruel and unusual punishment, even though they are smooth for being cobbles. The reason being after the beating your body has taken the small bumps scream at you. My hands finally don't hurt after three days of recovery.

The day after riding Paris-Roubaix I traveled to Paris and spent about 24 hours in Paris. I tried to hit all of the major tourist spots. I will post more pictures when I get state side again. Paris was amazing to see it. I tried to see as much as I can and I think I did a good job of it.





















I should be racing again tomorrow.

Ciao

2 comments:

xose pi said...

hello, guy

i come from spain.
i am an appasionate biker.

I am not a professional, but i love the bike

I like CONTADOR -ASTANA- FREIRE -RABOBANK- and VALVERDE -CAISSE D´SPARGNE- the big bikers in Spain today.

I write a blog, and i want do a ROUTE by my country. I had put a post with the route

BLOG PIRANOIAS.
http://www.compostelaesgrima.blogspot.com

I salute to you

xose

Jason said...

Nieport, would you grab me a faux bronze replica tower?