Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Hello from Belgium

First off, I don't think I will be able to post as much as I was hoping to be able to do. This is the first time I have been on the internet since arriving. Belgium is simply an amazing place to be at right now. The weather has been nice since arriving (highs in the low 70's). I am staying in a farm house near Westrobeke in the provincie of West-Vlaanderen (West Flanders). The guys I am traveling with are all great. I am mainly on my bike when I head out and have not spent much time in a car since being in Belgium.

For the racing, I have done two races so far. In the field for both of the races is the outgoing Belgian amateur national champion. The first race was a kermese in Oostrozebeke. I don't think I have ever hit the brakes so hard or heard so many squealing brakes heading into a turn as I did in Oostrozebeke. Also, I don't think I have ever sprinted so hard out of a corner as I did in the first race. Every time I came out of a corner if there was a small gap when I hit the gas to get up to speed the gap would remain constant even when I was going as hard as I could. My teammates over here mentioned the same experience as I did. Needless to say the first race was an experience and I was happy to have it done. I didn't do so well, managed to last about 35k (approx 21 miles) of a 117k (approx 70 miles) race. Considering my lack of training for the year as a result of school and some jet lag in the legs I was pretty happy. The second race was a American style criterium in Staden about 70k (42 miles) in length. I managed to hang on and actually be able to attack during the race. It was a great experience. It is a amazing to the locals come out and truly support a race and you can see how much they enjoy the sport.

For the tourist activities, I haven't done too much so far with getting over here and settling in for the month. On Monday, I road over to a cemetery from a battlefield, Tyne Cot, from WW1. Also, I road over to the Kemmelburg, and it is hard the descent off of it is just nutty. On Tuesday I spent the day site seeing in Brugge. While in Brugge, I saw a few churches, a brewery, and the Blood of Christ (brought back by a Flemish soldier after the Second Crusades). The churches are simply amazing.

This weekend, I might be racing three times and probably be visiting Brussels.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a pleasure to read your blog. I'm from Staden and I'm happy to hear you love our country. It's a great country with delicious food and beer. I hope you already tried DUVEL! It's marvelous!!!

From Roger the dodger